Wednesday 15 July 2015

It's Hard to Keep Up

In the past few days, it seems we have been all over the city, using the excellent Metro system to get to even the most far flung places, for example, the Musée Marmottan Monet. This beautiful old mansion, which was once a hunting lodge, houses the largest single collection of Monet paintings in the world. Some were curated by the original owner of the building, who had an eclectic taste in art and purchased many pieces by Berthe Morisot a female impressionist I knew nothing about, but I love her work. He also had two large pieces displayed next to each other, one with many male artists in a class room drawing a female nude model. Next to it sits another large painting by Adrienne Grandpierre-Deverzy called L'Atelier de D'Abel de Pujol showing a group of women of the same era, hidden behind drawn curtains, and painting. I think both Grandpierre-Deverzy and Marmottan were feminists and lord knows we needed all the help we could get back then. 

When Monet's son, his last surviving heir, was looking for a place to house the 100+ paintings he had in his private collection, M. Marmottan was the recipient. Alas, no pictures were allowed in this museum, so all I can offer is my happiness at seeing the collection.


On our way back to centre town, we felt the need to pay our proper respects to the Grand Dame of Paris.


I am always amazed at the Eiffel Tower's sheer scale. I also love a city that said, "Bien sûr" to M. Eiffel when he proposed building a huge structure to welcome the world, that basically did little but look beautiful while demonstrating skill in ironwork. Paris made a good decision when they didn't tear it down, after 20 years, as initially planned. I wish we still built in this style today.

We were happy to see that the little stand that sells hotdogs and crepes was still at the base of the Trocadero, across the Seine from the Tower. We picnicked by a carousel and enjoyed the view.


For my adventurous family and friends (Phil and Kevin to name just two), next to where we sat there are toys to be rented ...



the only problem is you would be driving in Paris in your Lamborghini or Ferrari where they are known to dump 12 roads into one unlined roundabout and let drivers sort it out! Dennis chose pictures over participation, which I have to say I appreciate now - in our 30s it might have been different.

I'll finish today with some random 'Parisness.' I love this town. 

I want to live on this barge, tied up on the Seine in full view of the Eiffel Tower.


Girls, lets get together and drink this wine, and explore this building.





I'm not sure if I like these or not, but they sure are interesting.




The next four photos are all music boxes.





Le Tour St. Jacques. No, we didn't climb it. I'd be on crutches!




Fountains outside the Pompidou Centre, such fun. I wish the little boys were here.






Random street art, this one was tiny...


and this one was massive - about four stories.


Don't you think we should all prioritize fresh flowers and yellow shoes?


And our artistic side?


And I leave you today with this :-) ... but I won't say anything to disparage plumbers.





No comments:

Post a Comment